Recent Posts



The UKCA mark for independent games designers

I’ve written a few times about CE marking for independent games designers and people have found it reasonably useful ( For those who are not aware, a CE mark is logo that the EU demands you place on your product to sell it legally within the EU (yes, irrespective of the age limit that you print on that game or if you market it as a collector’s item), and the EU have set out a series of directives laying out the safety testing you should have in place before being able to place the logo on your product. Back in 2016 the UK voted to leave the EU, this is going to take place at the end of 2020 so from the 1st of January 2021 if you want to sell your game legally in the UK you will need to look into having something new, the UKCA mark. Firstly, don’t worry, its not as big an issue as you might think, depending on where you get your current testing done it should be little more than extra paperwork.

Do I need it?

In short, yes. If you needed a CE mark to sell in the EU (and you did) then you need the UKCA mark to sell in the UK. There are t